Dec 20, 2008

the space under your desk is perfect for curling up in the fetal position

Its 7 days on since my Grandpa passed away and the drama has been minimal (from the cucus' point of view, anyway). My auntie wrote an unbelievably beautiful poem for my Granddad and my cousin detailed the moments from when she first heard of my Grandfather's passing up to the burial in incredible malay prose. It was something I really needed to read because I have no idea why, but I just NEED to know every single detail of what happened that day. I still feel really broken inside because I couldn't say goodbye to my Granddad and all I wanna do right now is go back to bukit mertajam and visit the family cemetery. My dad was telling me, in one of those rare moments when we actually exchanged feelings (horror of all horrors!), that the death of his father was a complete shock compared to that of my grandmother's and that he HATES the SheDevil he married after my grandma's passing (ooo that one tickles me!). The official cause of death on the certificate was a heart attack but I'm pretty sure, in our family's minds, there is that one niggling doubt that the SheDevil may have contributed to his death. Even if its not true, we all bear enough hatred towards her to think she may be capable of it. Among the funny family emails everyone receives is one that truly pissed me off. My self-righteous, holier-than-thou thinking uncle has called for a reunion with the SheDevil's side claiming that she is in every right mother and grandmother to all of us as my grandmother was. My uncle has said a lot of stupid things before but by far, this may be the dumbest. How can he claim that when the SheDevil never took care of our grandfather properly? Can he not see that the entire SheDevil clan is panicking since no one will be letting them mooch off of all of us anymore? Oh right, because he's never contributed financially to any of the mooching and therefore doesn't see the harm. Oh, i'm just venting. She's out of our lives and that is all that matters.

Reading on The Woman in White has stalled for a bit cause I'm currently reading Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. That's right, THAT Twilight. The Robert Pattinson-tween screaming-HighSchoolVampireMusical book I swore I would never read. I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about and since tater tot has become a zombie for vampire love, the book was lying around. In all, Edward Cullen is one hot motherscratcher but the book is just so-so to me. Maybe I'll like it more if I watch the movie. But if I don't, I can still pretend to play vampire lover with my human lover. I've been whispering sweet nothings in his ear in a Transylvanian accent. 

This Christmas I bugged my dad not for an electronic gadget but for a 5kg turkey. I saw an ad in the paper that you can order a 5 kg bird traditionally roasted or glazed with honey with candied chestnut & sage stuffing or apple, cinnamon & onion stuffing, with cranberry sauce. And all for just RM168! Or maybe its RM168 per kg...that would be a problem. But Alexis is selling their birds for RM65 per kg. Either way, for the first time in my life, I'll get a turkey! I can't wait to see what the cats make of it. Usually the birds they see fly around outside my parents' bedroom window. 

New Year's Eve will be a quiet event this year. There will be no hotel rooms, no beer and no figuring out what potato chips to buy. I'll be (hopefully!) chomping on a leftover turkey leg while playing board games with tater tot and nuestras padres. 

Adios everyone.

0 comments: